Health Care

Vets warn of festive food treats 'danger' to dogs

Vets warn of festive food treats 'danger' to dogs

In a new study, published Wednesday in the journal Vet Record, University of Liverpool researchers analyzed United Kingdom electronic veterinary medical records and discovered a "significant peak" in canine chocolate poisoning during the Christmas season.

Chocolate contains theobromine - a stimulant similar to caffeine - that can cause symptoms like vomiting, increased heart rate, agitation, and seizures in dogs. Dogs, in contrast, will often do anything for a chocolatey treat, even though eating even small amounts of chocolate can lead to vomiting and diarrhea, Nobel said.

They examined the 2012-2017 records of 229 animal hospitals or clinics in the United Kingdom and identified 386 cases of chocolate exposure involving 375 dogs. Apparently, judging from these figures, some sweet-toothed canines apparently didn't learn their lesson from the first time around. The study authors, examining veterinary visits due to chocolate toxicity, found that puppies and dogs under four years of age were much more likely to be exposed to chocolate (potentially because they have more energy to rummage around for food).

South Africa's ANC party wants embassy downgrade in Israel
The South African Board of Jewish Deputies and the South African Zionist Federation jointly condemned the ANC's decision.

This scene is set to be repeated up and down the country as Christmas gets started.

No particular breed was anymore likely to gobble chocolate (surprising, given the labrador's genetic propensity for greediness), and there were no peaks in chocolate-exposure cases reported around Valentine's Day or Halloween.

Advent calendars, Christmas tree decorations, Santa Claus figurines and gift box selections were among the confectionery items devoured by dogs on numerous occasions.

Hotel charges couple $350 for bad review
The Indiana attorney general's office says consumers should never fear about telling the truth about companies or businesses. A representative for the hotel said a new owner took ownership of the hotel in January, and she is not aware of the lawsuit.

They wrote: 'Chocolate ingestion has a unique seasonal pattern which merits highlighting this risk to clients, particularly in the run-up to Christmas and Easter as chocolate becomes more accessible within the household'. Preferably, you should offer the vet a description of the type of chocolate the dog ate.

20, 2017 Holidays, and all of the chocolate goodies that come with the celebrations, can be particularly risky for dogs, researchers warn. This can matter since milk chocolate has less theobromine than dark chocolate, for instance.

1st Republican enters race to complete Franken's Senate term
Until Wednesday afternoon, Franken had not given a specific date for when he will resign. "It really did. Al Franken (D., Minn.) will officially leave office on January 2, his office announced on Wednesday.